This is what Ewelina and I did with Susan. It was a lot
of driving, but we had crazy fun.
- Hanging dried fish just South of Hafnarfjörđur
- Stopped by a pretty lake, forget the name
- Seltún hot springs in Krýsuvík
- Drove along coast to Stokkseyri and Eyrarbakki
- Examined moss, craters, Icelandic berries and a prison on the way
- The Icelandic wonders and ghost museums in Stokkseyri. Neither were worth the money or time, sadly.
- KFC in Selfoss
- Paused in Hella, so Susan could photo the sign (it always cracks Californians up)
- Walked behind the Seljalandsfoss waterfall and climbed up to a little cave
- Found Seljavallalaug, which is still half full of ash/sand. Bathed anyway, in the rain.
- Stopped in Vík for Icelandic mutton-soup and visited the wool souvenir shop.
- Drove in the rain, stopped to look at hundreds of man-made rock cairns, added our own stones.
- Reach Skaftafell national park just after dark, camped and giggled over white wine and invisible carrots in our tent, until we fell asleep.
- Hiked the small circle in Skaftafell, seeing Svartifoss and Lambhagi and many glaciers from a distance.
- Found a gas stove and Polish book left by other tourists, left a funny note with our phone number before claiming the loot.
- Drove rapidly to Höfn, bought beer, had coffee.
- Drove slowly back, photoed horses.
- Stopped at Jökulsárlón, saw icebergs and seals.
- Stopped at Svínafellsjökull, walked on it
- Stopped at the wrecked bridge exhibit
- Stopped to admire collapsed caves
- Got stuck in sand by the roadside, got unstuck after two trucks and a jeep all stopped and offered help which we didn't end up needing. But that made the girls think Icelanders are awesome.
- Camped at Kirkjubćjarklaustur, cooked lamb and chicken and slices of the world's largest potato on a crappy disposable BBQ.
- Drove to Vík, visited the beach there and had hot-dogs.
- Quickly looked at Skógarfoss
- Looked at some ruins of barns half made out of caves in a big rock.
- Stopped for gas in Hvolsvöllur, were appalled by the crappy excuse for a farmer's market.
- Visited Geysir
- Visited Gullfoss, had mutton-soup again, with seconds!
- Drove the mountainy way to Ţingvellir, visited the crevasse, visitors center, cemetary and church.
- Drove to Nesjavellir, admired the steam and the sheep and the fun road.