One month of Mailpile
Mailpile is 1 month old today!
This is now by far my longest project obsession since I started working on PageKite...
In one month I have taught Mailpile:
- To create a search index for a large pile of e-mail
- To very quickly search large volumes of mail
- To sort search results in useful ways
- To group conversations together
- Manual tagging based of search results or individual messages
- Automatic tagging based on stored searches
- A very primitive way to read mail
- GPG encryption of the main index and settings
- Background invocation of
fetchmailand index updates
- The beginnings of a very simple web interface
It's obviously not a GMail replacement yet, but it is already doing some things better for me:
- It's faster!
- I can easily feed all my old mail archives into it
- I can work with my mail without an Internet connection
I've decided that I am not going to do all the work on this project though, I am going to be completely selfish and only implement the features that interest me and I want to use myself. People who want other features - things like Maildir or IMAP support or a pretty UI - will need to contribute code or offer me money or beer.